School of Sewing allows you to follow in the footsteps of a group of beginners who shared one goal- to learn to use their sewing machines. This book is an engaging, detailed lesson plan designed to guide you along that same journey, whether you are learning alone or as a group. It begins with easy-to-follow instructions for how to use a sewing machine and advice on buying fabric and tools and then progresses through 12 projects- one three-hour lesson a month, perfect for friends to learn together. Your own School of Sewing will be proud to show off or to gift these trendy projects, which include a pillowcase, zippered pouch, tote bag and patchwork quilt, each with optional details for "extra credit."
- Sewing machine types, recommendations and how to shop for the machine of your dreams.
- Fabric selection and color theory
- How to navigate the fabric store, including interfacing, notions and fabric types.
- Essential sewing supplies to get you started with the right gear
- How to trouble shoot problems when they occur.
- Professional finishing techniques
- Numerous sewing skills, including zippers, ruffles, buttonholes, pleats, binding, sewing a curve and machine quilting.
- How to sew 12 beginner projects, using step-by-step photos.
- Tips and advice from fellow beginners in a fun, approachable and relate able way.